Friday, April 27, 2012

The First Word: Bragging Rights



Lil' Miss said her first word today.

Now, on a few occasions when she is hungry or tired she will cry and it would sound as if she were saying "Ma MAAAAAAA!" However, its seemed as if it might be just a coincidence of sound combinations so we didn't count that. She also said what sounded like "IloveYOU" and "Hiya!" on a few occasions but again, she was probably either parroting or just making noises.

This morning David and I were both pretending to still be asleep. We were pretending because Serenity was cooing... LOUDLY. We were both hoping she'd go back to sleep...or the other would give in and get up with her. Just in case, I had an eye on her, watching her, from underneath my hair. I was being careful not to move. David turned over...and it got her attention.

She has been doing a signal for when her diaper is full for awhile now. She will hold up her legs and pointedly look you in the eyes as if to say: "CLEAN MY BUTT!" 

She tapped David on the back said a clear as day "Dada!" and then made the dirty diaper signal.
 David quickly rolled over and I pushed up to look at him. We both heard it. 

"Better reinforce that behavior, David, and clean that diaper." I said, pouting... and also happy I didn't have to clean the morning diaper. They are usually quite fragrant. I still kind of wanted the bragging rights of Mama coming first...but eh...still proud.

I was reading that its normal for a baby to start saying "Mama" or "Dada" around 4 to 5 months but they say they don't understand what they are saying, the relationship between word and meaning, until about a year of age. No one can tell me that Serenity didn't know what she was saying this morning. She wanted to have Daddy change her diaper and she communicated her wishes in order to make it happen. 

Smart kid. 

She is currently watching a Disney cartoon on David's lap. She's dancing to the music, with David's assistance, a gigantic spit bubble hanging from her bottom lip. She has this look of complete fascination on her face. Not sure what's cuter...her or David. He was already a good daddy but this morning's confirmation has added a special little twinkle to his eye. I wouldn't trade that for all the bragging rights in the world. I love seeing his confidence in himself as both a husband and father grow by the day.

He's dancing around the living room with her now. They both have gigantic grins on their faces. 

I love my little family.



3 comments:

  1. Life will never be the same. Once they start talking...watch out! They usually do say da-da first. I've read that d is easier than m to enunciate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started working on my verbal self control when she was born because I knew its only a matter of time before she repeats something I really shouldn't have said in the first place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, and yes to both previous comments. Don't listen to that baloney about when kids talk and when the understand things. Throw it out the window, because it will not help you or her. My kids both called me Dada for months. Annoying, yes, but still cute.

    ReplyDelete