Saturday, April 21, 2012

Favorite Lullabies

So today's subject is a little less controversial than my last update. Today's subjects is lullabies. I have two that I sing to Serenity the most. If I get desperate for material I sometimes start delving into the back of mind for old songs but these are the ones that never fail to calm her. I've included lyrics and clips for both.

The first one "Flying Dreams Lullaby" was in the movie The Secret of Nimh and it is like instant sleep.

   
"Dream by night
Wish by day
Love begins this way
Night's a friend
With love to send
Each new day
Bless your heart
Bless your soul
Let your dreams come true
Future songs
And flying dreams
Wait for you
Love, it seems
Made flying dreams
So hearts could soar
Heaven sent
These wings were meant
To prove
Once more
That love is the key

As you wish
As you will
Dream of flying starts
Love and care
The power's there
Trust your heart
Trust your heart"




My other favorite is called "Galway Bay" and was sang to me by my mother when I was young. It was always my favorite.

 "If you ever go across the sea to Ireland,  
Then maybe at the closing of your day,  
You can sit and watch the moon rise over Claddagh,  
And see the sun go down on Galway Bay.
 
Just to hear again the ripple of the trout stream,  

The women in the meadow making hay, 
Just to sit beside the turf fire in a cabin, 
And watch the barefoot gosoons as they play.

For the breezes blowing o'er the sea's from Ireland,  

Are perfumed by the heather as they blow,  
And the women in the uplands digging praties,  
Speak a language that the strangers do not know.
 

Yet the strangers came and tried to teach us their ways,  
And they scorned us just for being what we are,  
But they might as well go chasin after moon beams,  
Or light a penny candle from a star.
 

And if there's gonna be a life here after,  
And somehow I'm sure there's gonna be, 
  I will ask my God to let me make my Heaven,  
In that dear land across the Irish sea."




So what are your favorites that either your mother sang to you or that you sing to your children?





2 comments:

  1. My mom wrote a lullaby for each of us. They're typical Joyce style, though. No sissy sweet dreams stuff. OK, maybe a little of that. You'll have to ask her about them. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww...Yeah, Mom put a few together but they are mostly silly songs for trying to trick me out of a bad mood. lol

    ReplyDelete