Thursday, June 28, 2012

Self-Esteem and The New Mom



I was getting ready to go to the gym this morning and I started thinking about my emotional journey these last six months since Serenity was born. When I say emotional journey…what I really mean is self-esteem continuum. I will be honest, my self-esteem has taken some major hits as a new mom. 

I loved how I looked pregnant. I didn’t turn into a beached whale like I’d always assumed I would. I looked like my normal curvy, muscular self…just with a beach ball under my shirt. When it came to being postpartum, I was fine with how I looked at first. I missed the taunt skin of my belly but I understood things would tighten up eventually. I had a big baby so things stretched out. It happens. I gained 35 lbs while pregnant. I lost 20 of that on the table. Like I said…BIG baby.

I was doing okay until one day when Serenity was about three or four months old. I was on Facebook and I came to find out that a rather mean person had taken a very unflattering picture of me (made me look like I had a serious gut and a double chin) holding Serenity and posted it with the caption: “We promise we will feed you! Just don’t eat the baby!” I probably don’t have to tell anyone how devastating this event was. It felt like my logical brain and my emotional brain took two separate paths. My logical brain said “Do not retaliate. It will make things far worse and can undermine your ministry.” The emotional side of my brain cried….just cried. 

My husband David was furious like I’ve never seen him. He was practically calling for blood over it. He had never seen me cry like that. He’d seen me shed tears while angry…even seen me crying silently when moved or sad…but he had never seen me just collapse into such heart wrenching sobs. It wasn’t so much about a stupid picture. It was because that picture reopened a lifetimes worth of wounds. 

I’ve never been what one would call skinny. I’ve worked very hard my entire life to remain my “normal curvy, muscular self” living on diets for decades at a time and visiting the gym 3-7 times a week depending on how bad my symptomology was. Some very insensitive kids made some very unkind jokes about me as a child (“Could you tell me how to be fat? You seem to be good at it.”). As an adult my talent as a musician was undermined because of my weight (“She’s a great singer and songwriter but she needs to lose weight. She’s what…a buck fifty?"...and if someone would judge me at that weight what would they say now!).

So there I am…sitting on the bed beside my infant child…and she looks very confused…probably can’t understand why Mommy is crying so hard. She’s never seen Mommy anything but happy…well, maybe annoyed but usually that bounces back to happy pretty quick. I felt a little dead inside, to be honest. That picture opened some pretty toxic wounds and I’m not proud of the over-reaction that followed.

I didn’t do it on purpose…but my body didn’t want to eat anymore…or better yet…my brain wouldn’t let me. Slowly I started skipping meals. I have health reasons why I need to eat every three hours…but I’d go almost eight hours without touching food. Going into the kitchen started a steamroller of self-hate rolling that would knock me over with its vehemence. My blood sugar stayed completely unbalanced and I started having emotional/physical breakdowns on a bi-daily basis.  The scale wouldn’t move and I knew logically that every time I had a crash my body converted everything to fat…but eating was so hard…everything tasted like ashes. I’d go to the gym as much as possible…but when that failed to move the scale I got so depressed I could barely make myself go at all. Once I walked in…worked on one machine…and felt buried by depression…so I got up and came home to have a good cry. Some might think that I let the pain of my Fibromylagia compromise my workouts but I’ve always been pretty pro-active about that…and usually pretty good at ignoring the pain as a general rule…but the subconscious voices of self-loathing…those were harder to ignore.

It got to the point where things were extremely stressed in my home. My health was being undermined and David was getting understandably frustrated with me. I thought constantly about falling back on old habits that “helped” me back before I rededicated my life to Christ. I knew in my heart that it would just make things worse…but temptation is a hard thing to fight when coupled with depression. I realized I was starving for more than food. I started reading my Bible daily…devouring large chunks of the Word…and slowly it became easier for me to eat again.
Things in every area of my life got better as my self-talk turned more positive. I realized that my focus should not be on the loss of weight but on endurance and health. If I go to the gym I should focus more on what allows me to be a better mother physically and when I eat my focus should be on what allows me to retain the most level mood (glycemic index) to allow me to be a better wife and mother. 

It might seem elementary to most…eat right and regularly, work out to be strong…but when you have such profound issues with food…it isn’t nearly as easy. This place I’m at right now was hard won. While I know logically that “the picture” was just a bad picture and was taken only one day after a photo shoot in which I do not look fat, it swept me up in a current of self-doubt and depression. I just didn’t see it coming. I’m still a little tender emotionally, but I’m healing from this…and I hope that maybe my story can help someone else dealing with issues of weight and self-esteem. 

Love you all. God bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment